Saturday, February 23, 2013

Impacts on Early Emotional Development


I chose the Eastern and Southern African regions. I chose this area because it is a part of the world that is probably the least familiar to me. I think that I take for granted the materialistic things that I have my self and in my classroom.  In this region UNICEF has been a vital part of the Kigeme refugee camp.  There are over 14, 000 refugees in this camp. UNICEF has distributed boxes of schools-in-a-box to this region. These boxes “contain 40 different items that are designed to promote social interaction among the young children, as well as with their caregivers. They include dominos, colouring pencils, construction blocks, hand puppets, puzzle blocks and memory games, among others”(Slavin, 2013 p 1). These kits are helping children develop physically, emotionally, and mentally which for some, has not been easy. They are also providing solar-powered radios with flashlights and docking ports for cell phone charging.

Knowing that I have all these materials for teaching and finding out that UNICEF sends these boxes makes me realize that I would like to collect donations for these children. I know my own students get very excited when new materials or toys arrive. I can only begin to imagine the reaction from these young children who truly have nothing.  I am so glad that UNICEF does this and hopefully I can find out if UNICEF indeed does collecting and where to send those materials.

Reference

UNICEF. (2013). Eastern and Southern Africa. Retrieved on February 23, 2013, from http://www.unicef.org/eapro/activities_3584.html.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lori! Learning all of this information about the Eastern & Southern African regions inspires me to find out more about how I can help. All children have the potential of thriving and becoming successful, but some are lacking the basic resources which makes the journey difficult for many. Keep up the great work in collecting donations for the children! Because of leaders like you, the world is becoming a better place--1 child, 1 family at a time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lori

    I also chose this region and I really gained alot of insights about this area and how the children in the area are faced with many challenges. When you learn about the challenges that these children face, its makes you want to re-evaluate your own roles in your personal and professional lives. I also believe that UNICEF is a great organization that focuses on the well-being and development of all children globally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of the "school in a box." It is a great way to encourage the development of the children in that area. Every little bit helps. We are always taking donations for all kinds of things why not take donations of educational supplies and books to give to those who are in great need of them. The more we can do to help the better chance they have at a more positive outlook on their future.

    ReplyDelete