Saturday, March 16, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels


With the graduation of my daughter, I am hoping to become a more active member in some of these organizations or possibly find a new profession among them.

Iowa Association for the Education of Young Children - http://www.iowaaeyc.org/

I have been a member off and on for over ten years and have tried to attend the local meetings. In my area, which is Northwest, there is no information for a contact. This local chapter is comprised of 8 counties. I have been a national, state, and local member and I hope that I can find information on what is going on. Could this be my new journey? This organization is one of the best ones out there.


This is an initiative for the well-being of children and families from prenatal to age 5. It is a state-wide program and has local connections as well. I have found more information here that is keeping me inspired and I already sent an email asking for information. I think starting here is a good way of knowing what this organization stands for and what I can do to help get the word out.

Iowa Child Care Resource & Referral - http://www.iowaccrr.org/

When I was an in-home child care provider, this agency provided me with a wealth of information and trainings. In my particular area of Iowa, child care is not easy to find. Our child care center closed and is now used for early childhood classrooms at the public school. I would like to get involved in trainings and teach a class for new teachers and providers. Iowa CCR&R has trainings for in-home providers, child care center providers, and early childhood teachers.

I believe that my Master’s degree, my years of experience, and the genuine passion I have for the early childhood profession will inspire me to seek out a new journey and will allow me to encourage others to do the same.

6 comments:

  1. Resource and Referral Agencies often provide wonderful opportunities to exercise what you learned in this course. You can train and mentor others, engage in policy work, inform parents about options and philosophy, and participate in communities of practice.

    I highly encourage you to also become active in your AEYC affiliate. It was a very important part of my development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think getting involved in training childcare center staff is a wonderful thing! With minimal requirements to work in many of these establishments, there are a countless number of under-paid and under-trained folk in care centers- often the only ones that are available and affordable for struggling families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,
    Thank you Lori,
    You passion for childcare facilities is very important. It is unfortunate that, so many states have such a lacking in support and education for child care providers, even the state compensation for providers is low. It is a very difficult path. It sounds like your life has changed in such a manner that you can focus some of your energy on some of these passions.
    Great job,
    Schlee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lori

    I hope that after your daughter graduates that you can become a part of some of these powerful organizations in Iowa. I believe that with your passion and positive attitude that you will be a great member in any of these organizations. I hope that in the future, that you can join. Each of these organizations focus on your passion, and that is having a career working with young children.

    Good Luck!

    Thank you for sharing and giving details on these organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I currently have two small children and had to giggle at your opening statement that now that your daughter has graduated you can become more active in the field. i can relate to that for although there are so many things I would like to become part of in the ECD field, my children are my top priority at this point and therefore they limit the amount you can do. Luckily there are orginisation that assist us in these time so that we can give them the best. I hope you use your new found time to make a difference in the lives of children

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lori,
    Resource and Referral organizations are wonderful. I did not think of the one we have in Washington but that would have been a great place for me to look into. I have found it hard to juggle life and my career as well. I know that when this Masters journey is finished I will have the time to pursue some of the other options out there. I just need to make sure I do not over volunteer or schedule my time. I have a tendency to not say no to people so I often have a lot going on at one time. I enjoyed reading about your organizations and have found it interesting to see all the opportunities out there from state to state.

    ReplyDelete