Saturday, July 13, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels



I am keeping the same organizations that I used the first time because these three are very connected to early childhood education. With the graduation of my daughter, I am hoping to become a more active member in some of these organizations or possibly find a new profession among them.  I will also be teaching in a different county and preschool program where advocates may be more plentiful.

Iowa Association for the Education of Young Children - http://www.iowaaeyc.org/

I have been a member off and on for over ten years and have tried to attend the local meetings. In my area, which is Northwest, there is no information for a contact. This local chapter is comprised of 8 counties. I have been a national, state, and local member and I hope that I can find information on what is going on. Could this be my new journey? This organization is one of the best ones out there.


This is an initiative for the well-being of children and families from prenatal to age 5. It is a state-wide program and has local connections as well. I have found more information here that is keeping me inspired and I already sent an email asking for information. I think starting here is a good way of knowing what this organization stands for and what I can do to help get the word out.

Iowa Child Care Resource & Referral - http://www.iowaccrr.org/

When I was an in-home child care provider, this agency provided me with a wealth of information and trainings. In my particular area of Iowa, child care is not easy to find. Our child care center closed and is now used for early childhood classrooms at the public school. I would like to get involved in trainings and teach a class for new teachers and providers. Iowa CCR&R has trainings for in-home providers, child care center providers, and early childhood teachers.

I believe that my Master’s degree, my years of experience, and the genuine passion I have for the early childhood profession will inspire me to seek out a new journey and will allow me to encourage others to do the same. I plan to get a feel for what is out there and what is not in regards to programs and colleagues who are interested. It will be making connections with the right people who are also interested in starting up a community of practice.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Lori,

    I think you have a great foundation of resources available to you in your area. With your education, experience, and passion, you can do anything you put your mind to. I hope you get some information back and are able to take a more active role in these organizations.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Lori,
    I like you think the National Association for the Education of Young Children is an amazing organization. I too mentioned it as a Community of Practice and I look forward to a future affiliation with them and becoming a member.

    The two additional programs you have listed appear to be wonderful resources. From what you shared, it sounds as if they are two agencies that ignite and fuel your passions concerning the field of early childhood.

    I believe a huge benefit we inherit when we work with other agencies is the opportunity to connect with professionals who also share in the passion of the promotion of education for young children.

    Millie

    ReplyDelete