Saturday, July 27, 2013

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level

If I am ever given the opportunity to work my way up to a national level of an early childhood organization, I would be happy to be a part of any of the following three that I chose:
 
 
National Association for the Education of Young Children


This organization is the premiere group that works to ensure the success of young children, families, and anyone else who works with children. I have been a member for over 20 years at both the national and state level. Our local chapter has been struggling to maintain meetings and members. I would love to collaborate with other early childhood professionals in my area and get the meetings going again.  If you work with children, this organization is a must.

National Head Start Association


The National Head Start Association (NHSA) is another organization that is dedicated to children and families.  Started in 1974 NHSA has been an advocate for families, communities, and especially children to make certain each child is successful in life.  The amount of work that this organization participates in is amazing. It is also one of the first to receive budget cuts which affects thousands of families and children across the country.  Many families and children would not be where they are today if it were not for the Head Start Association.

National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators


This organization is a national and global group that is interested in bettering the early childhood profession.  This is mainly for the teachers, who would like to discuss issues in early childhood, advocacy, and sharing of ideas. As an early childhood teacher, I sometimes feel that we do not get the respect that other classroom teachers get. We are the beginning of a child’s education journey and I think our job is one of the most challenging positions in education.

 


All three organizations have positions from early childhood directors, consultants, teaching positions, advocates, and governing board members.  Many positions require a Masters/Doctorate Degrees and experience working in the early childhood education field. I would love to be part of a literacy position within any of these organizations so that families and children understand the concept of literacy skills start at home.  Skills for include knowledge of early childhood and development, communication, organizational skills, and current trends and issue affecting the profession.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to work for the National Head Start Association as well. Head Start is such a great program. I know many children who went to Head Start. I have heard nothing but praise and many people recommended I send my children there when they were that age.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about each of the organizations you chose this week. The child care center I used to work for is NAEYC accredited and we attended conferences yearly. NAEYC has been a great resource throughout my career as an educator and during my educational journey. This week, I also looked into several positions that revolved around consulting. I think this would be an excellent step out of the classroom but still within my comfort zone. I will definitely have to look into the organizations you listed to check out future employment opportunities. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete